Food on the Go
While on vacation, it definitely can be a challenge to eat well. Stopping at restaurants for meals can get old. You never know what will be available when you are hungry, plus the pocketbook takes a beating.
Solution? Unpack the fridge and pack the cooler! We also packed an extra bag with paper plates, plastic utensils that we re-used, small garbage bags, knives, napkins.
Don’t forget the ice! Use a big block if you can (leave it in the plastic). It will take longer to melt than the bags of ice with the small cubes. Here are a few things that we packed.
- Hardboiled eggs
- Deli Meat (we had Applegate brand turkey and ham)
- Tuna (we made this up before we left, but you can also get this in the pouches at the grocery store and just eat it out of the bag with a fork. Works out great and saves you from having to pack the can opener).
- Pretty much all the veggies that were in our fridge. Including, but not limited to jicama which we julienned and put into cold water with some ice. Carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, sweet potatoes, strawberries, apples, bananas, pickles, peppers.
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Mixture of nuts that we made up ourselves of macadamia, cashews, walnuts, almonds.
- Unsweetenend applesauce
- Dark chocolate
- Ice tea
We thought this was pretty good for procrastinating until the last minute! When we did eat out, we of course would try to make the best choices that we could.