Tomatillo and Avocado Soup
Recipes posted a year ago:
We have had many hot days here in the Northwest lately (in the 90s WOOT!). Summer came in September this year. My Uncle Joe said it seems as if our seasons have shifted by three weeks. I am tending to agree! Sometimes it is hard to eat hot food on a really hot day, so this cold soup was perfect. I believe this recipe was adapted at some point from Sunset magazine, although modified.
- About 10 or so tomatillos, chopped
- About 10 or so grape tomatoes or 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- Juice from one lime (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of green Tabasco sauce (or more to taste)
- 2 small cucumbers or 1 large, seeded and chopped
- 1 sprig of oregano, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Chop tomatillos and tomatoes. Put half of the tomatillos, onion, and broth in a food processor. Throw in all of garlic and then puree.
Pour into a strainer over a bowl and using a spatula, scrape at strainer and let broth mixture fall into bowl.
Discard mixture in the strainer once you have gotten out all the broth. Throw remaining chopped tomatillos, tomatoes, and onion into the broth mixture. adding the rest of the broth. Toss in cucumbers, lime juice, Tabasco sauce, and oregano. Put the bowl on ice bath for about 20 minutes. Then add avocado and cilantro. Enjoy the coolness!