Brazilian Chicken Curry
- 2 Comments
Today is the 31st anniversary of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. That has absolutely nothing to do with this recipe whatsoever, but just thought I would share 🙂 Here in the Pacific NW it is a big deal to ask, “where were you when the mountain blew?” Well, according to my mom, I was in bed. It was an early Sunday morning after all. We take for granted the fact that we live near a volcano. We see it every day, beautiful now with all the snow covering it. If you are in this area during the late spring through the summer, definitely check out the observatory and get up close. The power of the blast and the damage it caused in just a few short minutes, well, to say it was incredible is an understatement. It is hard to wrap your head around.
Okay, so back to the food. Gather Up:
- 10 to 12 chicken drumsticks (with skin removed)
- 3/4 to 1 cup of coconut milk (not the lite stuff)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 bell peppers (chopped)
- 10 or so mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 tablespoon of ginger (grated)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 3 to 4 tsp of curry powder
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
- a bit of cilantro or basil (chopped)
In a large crockpot mix together the coconut milk, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Add in the vegetables and mix (you can tell here that I had to switch crockpots as I completely underestimated the quantity!)
Put the curry powder into a large plastic bag, throw in drumsticks and shake to coat.
Place drumsticks into crockpot, burying them in various places and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. When done, top with cilantro and/or basil if desired.